My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 30, 2015

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I suppose someone whose Internet handle is classstruggle should not be expected to have much in the way of a sense of humor, but I really think his/her response to my lighthearted post about line-standers was, shall we say, somewhat out of proportion.

Lighten up!

3 comments:

classtruggle said...

Oh no! My reply was taken the wrong way. Gosh, my apologies Professor Wolff -- in no way were my observations a criticism of you or your reference to Simmel. I treat your posts as so many opportunities to learn more about the world and at times, to revisit, reassess and respond to certain topics and thinkers that I may have read or learned about in the past. In this case, I only meant to open up a discussion about or reflect on the relationship between Simmel and Marx/Marxism. Nothing more.

Oh the intricacies of the English language sure can cause a lot of misunderstandings and inaccuracies. By no means am I alone in that regard?

David Auerbach said...

Social media and email (both in their brevity and speed of composition) occasion a certain uncertainty of tone. I didn't take classstruggle's response as snarky but as a sparked response that, it's true, deviated from the light-hearted tone of the RPW post, but seemed a honest intellectual semi-free association.

BTW: SInce Tobias self-nominated himself as an unpaid (except in the currency of familial love) line holder, he's off the hook for hiring one...

K.Reader said...

Your blog arouses all sorts of reactions. ;) My first emotional (female) reaction was: Oh, he is so proud of his family! Same here! Did he pay for the meal? I always pay in similar situations. Then: OMG those Americans,so "democratic", let "all" people queue! - Classstruggle is an intellectual. Completely different reaction! Please, keep on inspiring us!