My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, January 1, 2016

ONE DOWN

Well, the first lecture is in the can, as it were.  I recorded it, I transferred it to my computer, I spliced the two parts, since for some reason the camcorder recorded it in two files, and I snipped the beginning and end off so that you do not see me creeping around turning the camcorder on and off.  It runs a tad more than 45 minutes.  The twitches and tics are godawful, but you will simply have to adopt the Christian view that I am one of God's children.  The sound, thanks to the lavalier mic, is very clear indeed.  As for the content, I leave that to others to judge.  I shall post it on YouTube early in the week of January 11th.  Now I must begin preparing the second lecture.  No rest for the weary.

I found the experience a trifle unnerving.  Lecturing to nobody, with not even so much as a smile or a frown as response, is very weird.

4 comments:

TheDudeDiogenes said...

I look forward to watching the first lecture. I hope that positive feedback will be enough to encourage you, since we can't be there in person!

David Auerbach said...

You could arrange, behind the camera and in your line of sight, a video of some very face-filled film (but with the sound off) full of expressive faces. Maybe *My Dinner with André* or old silent films that were full of expressive closeups. Once your mind gave up on the synchronicity of the faces with your points, it would just be a background of faces in motion. Or maybe a crowd scene, out of Ben Hur?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

How about the chariot race from Ben Hur? :)

Anthony W. Orlando said...

Should we start any readings before the first lecture?