My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, December 22, 2017

THE PASSAGE OF TIME

Today is the twelfth birthday of my grandson, Samuel Emerson Wolff.  We are separated by seventy-two years.  My father's father and I were separated by fifty-four years.   I have a very powerful sense today of the passage of time and the arc of life. 

2 comments:

LFC said...

The more regrets one has about what one has not done in one's life, the harder it is to reconcile oneself to the passage of time.

You seem to have relatively few regrets, which should make reconciling yourself to time's passing not easy, but easier. That, at least, is my two cents, fwiw, and before shutting off the computer for the evening.

s. wallerstein said...

I have regrets, especially about how I treated some women in my life.

I have regrets about hitting David Ericson almost 55 years ago. He was gay, and I knew he wouldn't hit back. I didn't hit him because he was gay, but as part of a general conflict among several room-mates.

I have regrets about the moments when I used whatever little power I had to push someone weaker around or to lord over them. In general, that was psychological violence, not physical violence except in the case of David.

I have regrets about how I treated Barbara Lyon. She later became a prominent feminist intellectual, and maybe someone who reads this blog knows her. If so, give her my apologies.

I have regrets about how classist and intellectually snobbish I used to be, in spite of my radical leftwing beliefs. The classism and intellectual snobbism come from my upbringing, but I should have been more self-aware. It's taken more than 50 years to arrive at a basic level of self-knowledge.

I have regrets about how uncaring about others I was, how cold I often was.

Otherwise, no regrets, at least none that come to mind at this moment. Time passes all too rapidly.